Service 2018-01-04T17:56:38+00:00
Linemen installing power pole
Click Here

New Service or New Member/Service Transfer Application

To receive Ravalli Electric service, you must live within our service area and complete the attached membership application
Click Here

New Member/Service Transfer

If you are simply transferring existing service into your name due to a recent move, please complete the application and return to REC by mail at PO Box 190, Corvallis, MT 59828, scan and email to “service at ravallielectric dot com” fax to 406-961-3230 or drop by our office at 1051 Eastside Highway, Corvallis, MT. Call 406-961-3001 for assistance. A deposit may be required.

New Service

An applicant (or representative) requesting service from the Co-op must sign up for service at the office in Corvallis. A new service construction engineering meeting will be scheduled after the applicant has signed and returned a Membership and credit application to the office and paid a new service fee.


The Co-op has established policies regarding services that will and will not be provided. The Co-op will identify options such as location of service, route the line will take, and whether the line will be extended into the property via overhead or underground construction.

Trenching Conduit

What is Required for New Service?

  • The State Electrical Permit
  • The cost of construction above the Co-op’s contribution
  • Address of permanent location where service will be supplied
  • The installation of all facilities from the meter to the dwelling
  • Required easements to Ravalli County Electric Cooperative, Inc
  • Membership Application form
  • Legal description of the property and/or be able to locate the property on a map so the location can be communicated to the engineer
  • The type of service, i.e. residential, commercial, irrigation, seasonal, etc., and size of load
  • Any covenants requiring underground service must be communicated

New Service Application


New Service Requirements Checklist


New Service Waiver


Upgrades and Changes

CONVERSION: A consumer requesting the relocation of existing lines or converting existing overhead lines to underground will be responsible for 100% of the cost, including any special transformers, equipment and materials that are needed. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis and done only at the discretion of the Cooperative.

IDLE SERVICES: All line extensions are the property of the Cooperative to own, operate and maintain regardless of the members contribution to construction. Power lines and fixtures not utilized for two consecutive years will be considered idle. Members can keep idle services installed with an idle service payment of $100 annually or the equipment can be removed at the Cooperative’s discretion. Efforts of notification will be limited to current Cooperative billing records.

ACTIVE SERVICE: All new service installations must remain active for a minimum of 24 months. Members who disconnect prior to 24 months of service will be charged the minimum monthly fee for the prorated months (up to 24 months) not connected.

TEMPORARY SERVICE: Temporary installations are available. The applicant will pay the estimated installation and removal costs prior to scheduling construction.

SECURITY LIGHTS: Costs incurred in the relocation of existing security lights will be borne 100% by the consumer.

EASEMENTS: The applicant will procure necessary easements or other necessary land use rights for line extensions and will furnish these to the Cooperative in a form to be recorded at the Ravalli County Court House.

RIGHT-of-WAY: The applicant shall perform any required right-of-way clearing before construction is scheduled.

LINE EXTENSIONS: Line extensions are normally done on a first come first serve basis after all requirements of the line extension policy are met. However, the Cooperative reserves the right to make changes to the schedule when emergencies or other priorities supersede the anticipated schedule

Security Lights

Cree LED Security LightSecurity lights will be installed on existing Co-op facilities or security light pole(s) on the members’ property. There will be no charge for the standard installation of lights on co-op poles with existing power supply when the member agrees to maintain service for three years. Installation of lights that are not standard will be at the discretion of REC and at the expense of the requesting member. Security light poles are the property of the Co-op and will not be used for any other attachments by the member.

Lamp breakage or burnouts must be reported to the Co-op by the member. Replacements will be made by the Co-op, without charge, except where damage is incurred by willful destruction. Security light repairs will be addressed in a timely manner, but it is a low priority maintenance request.

Any relocation of security lights will be at the cost of the member.

Net Metering


In brief, a net metering system is one that:

  • Uses as its fuel renewable resources; defined to be solar, wind, hydropower, biomass or other alternative generation system pre-approved by the utility.
  • Is located on the member-generator’s premises.
  • Operates in parallel with the REC distribution system.
  • Is intended primarily to offset part of the member’s/generator’s requirements for electricity at the specific site where the generation is installed.

Net metering allows homeowners to receive the full value for the electricity that their alternative renewable energy system produces. The term, net metering, refers to the method of accounting for the electricity production of an alternative renewable energy system.

How Does Net Metering Work?

Net-metering is a special installation that allows any surplus energy generated by the member’s alternative energy system to go back on the utility electric system. This allows the member to receive “credit” for the electricity put back on the system at retail rates. The member’s meter measures the electricity the member uses from the utility less the electricity the member’s system puts back.

As the homeowner’s system produces electricity, the kilowatts are first used for any electric appliances in the home. If more electricity is produced from the system than is needed by the homeowner, the extra kilowatts are fed into the utility grid. At the end of the month, the utility credits (banks) the net kilowatt-hours produced at the retail power rate. If the member uses more electricity than they generate, they pay the difference.

The annual billing period for net metering begins and ends with the Cooperative’s April billing cycle. Any remaining unused kilowatt-hour credits accumulated during the previous 12 months will be granted to REC, without any compensation to the member-generator.

Net metering allows homeowners who are not home when their systems are producing electricity to still receive the full value of that electricity without having to install a battery storage system. The power grid acts as the customer’s battery backup, which saves the customer the added expense of purchasing and maintaining a battery system.

Download Application
Net Metering Policy